[TriLUG] making a disk image

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 10:23:37 EST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 10:14 am, you wrote:
> M. Mueller (bhu5nji) [bhu5nji at yahoo.com] wrote:
> > I just loaded 3 identical machines using the conventional installer and
> > then sequences of ftp, make/install, rpm, tar xzvf.  Tedious.
>
> SystemImager rocks.  We can load twenty boxes at the same time in about
> five to ten minutes.  I'm sure we can go higher, but that's about as
> many as we've ever tried.
>
> We can then point at a different image and reload those same boxes.
> It's great for testing.

Cool.  I just started reading the documentation (I am prone to such
shortcomings).

> Note:  this requires decent networking equipment.  We had one switch
> that just couldn't handle the load (the installs would be real slow),
> but once we switched to a better switch, it's all good.

Well that adds to my suspicions about switches.  Recently I changed from a
cheap hub to a cheap switch.  I got improvement, but not all that I had hoped
for.

--
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.