[TriLUG] Quick question about time syncing to linux servers

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Feb 27 11:32:29 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 08:31, Matthew Hoover wrote:
> All,
> I know that there is a command to stick into a cron job to synchronize
> on linux server's time to another's.  My problem is that I have
> mounted a filesystem from our main server onto my local server, and
> when I do makes, gmake is complaining about time skew.  The NFS
> server is syncing its time to a time server on the net, so I don't
> need to worry about that.  I just want to make the time on my box the
> same as the time on the NFS server.

Check out ntpd and ntpdate.

For a one-time sync, ntpdate is helpful.  It syncs your clock to a time
server that you specify and reports the difference.  See "man ntpdate".

Even better, the ntpd daemon will do exactly what you want as it
continuously queries a list of name servers and *gradually* adjusts the
system time so that there is a minimum of disruption.  Its very accurate
and convenient if your box is always (or almost always) connected to the
net--which is probably the case if you use NFS a lot.

Included below is a sample config file for ntpd.  You may want to try
the UNC timeservers (clock[1,2,3].unc.edu) if you can get access or find
some other local time servers (search for NTP servers on google).  I'm
in CO, so don't use the servers I list.

hth,
Ed

ps - You might need to adjust your firewall to let NTP traffic through.
I use the following on my RH v7.2 boxen---add to your
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains config:

#eh3  Add ntp protocol support
#eh3     function firewall_enable_ntp_client {
#eh3         $IPCHAINS -A output -j ACCEPT $EXTIF -p udp -d 0/0 ntp
#eh3         $IPCHAINS -A input  -j ACCEPT $EXTIF -p udp -s 0/0 ntp
#eh3     }
-A output -j ACCEPT  -p udp -d 0/0 ntp
-A input  -j ACCEPT  -p udp -s 0/0 ntp
#eh3