[TriLUG] SSSCA making a comback, call Sen. Edwards

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Wed Feb 27 13:19:44 EST 2002

Looks like the love child of Sen. Fritz Hollings and Walt Disney Co. - the
SSSCA - is back.  This is the proposed law that would require digital
rights management in pretty much any computer-like device.  How much do
you want to bet that Linux will be blessed by a DRM solution, even in the
best case?

This is a clear attempt to fatten the pockets of the big publishers at the
expense of the rights of the people.  I'd encourage the NC residents on
the list to take 30 seconds to call Sen. Edwards office at (202)224-3154
and urge him to oppose this short-sighted attempt at expanding copyright
powers.  I just called and it was quite painless.  :-)  If enough people
call today, he may get the message.  The proposal is getting introduced
tomorrow, so we have to make it snappy.

For reference, see http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,50702,00.html

--Wade

--