[TriLUG] Proxim RangeLAN-DS 802.11b

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Feb 28 10:17:12 EST 2002

Geoff Purdy [geoff.purdy at verizon.net] wrote:

> I suppose what I'm trying to understand is what makes one 802.11b card better
> than another:
> - linux support?
> - speed?
> - range?
> - compatibility? (although I'm assuming that one 802.11b card cannot be more
> 802.11b compatible than another)
> - all of the above?
> - other considerations?

All of the above.  Radio quality varies, which contributes to speed and
range (as noise increases, speed and range drop - all 802.11b cards kick
over from 11mb/s to 2mb/s at certain levels of signal).

As for the compatibility, some vendors introduce little tweaks that are
'enhancements' to the spec that can only be used with their cards.  Cisco
has some additional encryption crap they can do (better than WEP).

In the end, the most important is the Linux support.  For some vendors
there is only binary only drivers, for some none at all.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost