[TriLUG] RH 7.1 weirdness

Chuck Mead csm at MoonGroup.com
Thu Feb 28 20:54:52 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Greg Brown posted the following:

GB>I was trying to use the 'talk' utility which relies on talkd, the talk
GB>daemon.  Anyway, talkd wasn't started so I went to start it but it's not
GB>there.  I installed EVERTHING on my RH machine and takd is not on either one
GB>of my two machines.  So... do I have to download talkd from somewhere or is
GB>this some kids of weird RH 7.1 thing?  The man page for talkd is on the
GB>system, just no talkd file.  Strange.

[csm at varmint csm]$ rpm -qa|grep talk
talk-0.17-12
talk-server-0.17-12
ytalk-3.1.1-7
[csm at varmint csm]$ rpm -qi talk-0.17-12
Name        : talk                         Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 0.17                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 12                            Build Date: Tue 24 Jul 2001
07:27:10 AM EDT
Install date: Sun 07 Oct 2001 11:35:21 AM EDT      Build Host:
stripples.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
talk-0.17-12.src.rpm
Size        : 19555                            License: BSD
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : Talk client for one-on-one Internet chatting.
Description :
The talk package provides client and daemon programs for the Internet
talk protocol, which allows you to chat with other users on different
systems. Talk is a communication program which copies lines from one
terminal to the terminal of another user.

[csm at varmint csm]$ rpm -qi talk-server-0.17-12
Name        : talk-server                  Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 0.17                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 12                            Build Date: Tue 24 Jul 2001
07:27:10 AM EDT
Install date: Sun 07 Oct 2001 11:42:48 AM EDT      Build Host:
stripples.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
talk-0.17-12.src.rpm
Size        : 17121                            License: BSD
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : The talk server for one-on-one Internet chatting.
Description :
The talk-server package provides daemon programs for the Internet talk
protocol, which allows you to chat with other users on different
machines. Talk is a communication program which copies lines from one
terminal to the terminal of another user.

- --
csm

Fine day for friends. So-so day for you.