[TriLUG] Video card recommendations?

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 1 01:44:52 EST 2002

Actually, it is pretty easy to re-attach heatsinks IF you can tell precisely
where it goes. Heat-sink compound (which is used to make a solid contact
between the semiconductor and its heatsink so that the heatsink will cool
the semiconductor) is pretty sticky if you apply enough. It comes in a small
tube which you can use it just like "glue" to reattach heatsinks, large
heatsinks are a cinch to replace and smaller ones are not too bad if you
have some tweezers and a very steady hand. It's also helpful to do this
during very humid weather when the likelihood of static is extremely low (a
very common condition for our area of the country). And best of all it's a
lot cheaper than a new video card!! Of course it's possible that
semiconductor fried itself, but you'll never know if you don't try this
trick, and best of all this is something you can even buy at Radio Shack!!
:-)
----AL