[TriLUG] Apache, Java, Servlets, oh my!

Steve steve at kuekes.homeip.net
Fri Mar 1 08:15:16 EST 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Okay, so I'm thinking of setting up my apache 1.3.22 server to
> work with java servlets and java server pages.  I notice that
> Mandrake provides a nice easy rpm called ApacheJServ.  Unfortunately,
> when I go to java.apache.org, it informs me that this is
> woefully out of date and that I should be using Tomcat.  The
> question is, which one!  There seem to be half a dozen versions
> of Tomcat available and the apache site does absolutely no
> good in telling you why you would want one over the other.
> So, is there anyone out there that can explain the confusion?
> Andy?  You work with this, right?

What you want is apache tomcat (it is a servlet and jsp container).  Or you can
get jboss+tomcat which provides servlet, jsp, and j2ee application server in one
package(from www.jboss.org).  The interface between apache and tomcat is a
module called mod_jk which replaced mod_jserv.  I have this configured on my
home web server and it works perfectly.  I'm running redhat 7.2, but I still had
to download rpms from jakarta.apache.org.

--
Steve Kuekes

Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional (TTA)
email: skuekes at nc.rr.com