[TriLUG] The Threat of a Linux Generation

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Mon Mar 4 16:47:33 EST 2002

El dia Monday 04 March 2002 04:25 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> a blase overview from a large media outlet, but i'm just happy that this
> sentiment is gaining such an audience. and i like how they equate people
> who can actually understand linux to "a threat." he he he...

The media must be amazed of finding profdessionals (in front of 'hackers',
'bearded and long-haired coders) that have ethics (do they know how to spell
this one?) and do not sell ideas for money.

> the following made me raff:

> "Linux now accounts for 27 percent of server software worldwide, compared
> to Microsofts 42 percent share, says research firm IDC."
> ~are these numbers reversed?? who paid for this survey?

In the overall world count of servers, not only dataservers, those numbers
are right.

> "Linux hackers from Germany and elsewhere are working on a Windows-like
> graphical interface for Linux PCs called KDE (for K Desktop Environment).
> They expect to release it this spring - free of charge."
> ~not like KDE has been out for 4+ years or anything...

Exactly. I have been using an unreleased thing, (created by Ggerman hackers,
of all things!) that seems to be named KDE. Probably, they haven't seen a KDE
release party, in the likes of Microsoft, where reporters get free lunch, a
tote-bag, a sticker and a manila folder containing a cd-rom with a ms-word
document with articles to be sent to the editors, so they can expend the
"donations" in a party.
.
> "In the end, Microsoft persuaded the Parliament to continue using Windows
> NE for 5,000 new PCs."
> ~yeah, that "NE" -- its *powerful* stuff!

NE stands for "New Everything". Don't you know? If Bill says that they have
it, it must be god. I can't wait to go to BestBuy to get my dope^H^H^H^H new
upgrade from WinXP to WinNE

And what they do not say is that Microsoft was dumped from the servers in
favour of Linux

> fact checking...  what is fact checking?

a methodology followed by many IT journalist and most microsoft bug-hunters.

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"