[TriLUG] The Threat of a Linux Generation; *now* with URL

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Mar 4 16:54:36 EST 2002

On Monday 04 March 2002 04:29 pm, Matusiak wrote:
> the following made me raff:
>
> "Linux now accounts for 27 percent of server software worldwide, compared
> to Microsofts 42 percent share, says research firm IDC."
> ~are these numbers reversed?? who paid for this survey?

I think those numbers are quite realistic based on what I've seen.  Linux
definitely has strongholds in some areas but in the big picture it is still
catching up.

These numbers almost certainly do NOT include server installations in Asia,
such as those behind the Great Firewall of China.  I suspect that Linux may
actually be more popular in places like China or other asian nations but here
in North America, Linux servers still seem to be ramping up in most companies.

Remember though that IDC largely has to make these numbers up out of thin
air.  They have hard numbers from Microsoft probably, but how do you quantify
installations of a free operating system that is usually installed behind a
firewall and can't be portscanned from the Internet?  You cannot possibly get
an accurate count.

Still, I think that the gist of it is right.  Windows servers still outnumber
Linux servers in corporate America.

> "In the end, Microsoft persuaded the Parliament to continue using Windows
> NE for 5,000 new PCs."
> ~yeah, that "NE" -- its *powerful* stuff!

Not sure, but could they be using a different product name for XP over in the
European market?  Or is this just a typo.