[TriLUG] Re: Global JAVA_HOME variable?

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Tue Mar 5 09:45:30 EST 2002

[Sam Penfield]
> The /usr/bin/java symlink works great most of the time but some
> applications still require it to be set.  One that comes to mind is
> Sun's Forte for Java.  Putting it in /etc/profile works great although I
> do test with different version so I set up some shell scripts to manage
> the versions.

Kevin didn't say to set a /usr/bin/java symlink, he said to set
a /usr/local/java symlink to point to the dir with the jdk/jre
installed, so you can change which dir /usr/local/java points to,
and JAVA_HOME is just set to /usr/local/java so you can update
which jvm/jre things are using w/o having to change the variable
and force ppl to reinit their shells.

a /usr/bin/java symlink doesn't do much for you, as you mentioned.