[TriLUG] Time lag post kernel update

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Mar 5 11:37:38 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> I posted about this a couple of weeks ago, but now I have the same
> symptom on a 2nd RH 7.2 box.  I have a development and a production
> RH 7.2 system.  I run ntpdate once every morning to resync the
> clocks.  Yes, I know about ntpd, but it's not that critical that the
> times are that accurate.

I guess my question is -- if you're so concerned about the time lag, then
why don't you just install ntpd?  It's quite easy to set up (see previous
discussions on this group), and will solve this problem permanently.

I agree it's strange that a kernel upgrade appeared to affect the clock,
but if you just get ntpd working, you'll never have to worry about it
anymore!  Sure, it's treating the symptom and not the cause, but sometimes
that's the quickest, easiest way to fix a problem.

--Jeremy