[TriLUG] Help save community and educational streaming content

Fred Stutzman stutzman at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 6 14:29:42 EST 2002

All,

As you are aware, community and educational internet broadcasting is in
serious jeopardy due to new proposed guidelines by the Copyright
Arbitration Royalties Panel.  If you side with community and educational
stations and would like to help save streaming content, please take a
minute to contact your representatives.  I've included instructions and a
link for more information below.  If you do so decide to contact your
reps, I thank you in advance!  Sorry for the off topic nature of this
post.

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Go to this page and find your representative, and then write them a
letter, I have included a sample copy below.

Dear Representative <insert name>,

I am writing today to express my support for the Position Paper,
"Arguments for Changes to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) via
the Music Online Competition Act (MOCA)", which can be located at
http://www.rice.edu/cb/sos/paper.html .

There are three issues of concern to Educational and Community stations
with regard to their audio on the internet. The DMCA threatens the
existence of these Educational and Community radio outlets with an unfair
fee schedule, content restrictions and onerous reporting requirements.

The position paper supports HR 2724, the Music On-Line Competition Act and
urges that it incorporate provisions to protect Educational and Community
stations. I agree with the position paper and ask you to help protect
Educational and Community radio/web stations via HR 2724 or other
pertinent legislation.

Sincerely,

<Your Name>