[TriLUG] please don't throw me in that there briar patch...

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 7 09:30:11 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:35:37PM -0800, Andy Hart wrote:
> They view it as a stick, I view it as a carrot. Personally, I think they're
> bluffing and trying to make people panic. They won't stop unless forced to
> stop developing/shipping windows. Their bread/butter applications (.Net,
> Office, ...) depends on them having control of the operating system. I hope
> the feds aren't threatened by this.

Threatened?  They've rolled over completely:

"The US Department of Justice, now firm buddies with Microsoft in arguing
for the acceptance of the antitrust action settlement, claimed yesterday
that the deal it struck with the company is better than it could have
achieved if it had gone on fighting. Furthermore, claimed DoJ attorney
Philip Beck, if agreement hadn't been achieved the DoJ would have been on a
loser: "an uphill battle that likely would have been resolved against us."

--Brian

--

Anything you can imagine (and many things you can't),
someone on the net is doing.

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net