[TriLUG] Newbie: help needed with building linux firewall

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Fri Mar 8 10:23:37 EST 2002

> Have you loaded the modules for each network card?  and configured the
> interfaces so that they load.  Can you ping each interface (externally
and
> internally)?

Jon,

I'm slightly familiar with what Tim is doing, so let me see if I can help
explain.

He's trying to build a linux firewall ( no NAT / masquerading,
 that's handled by the router provided by the ISP ).  Routing is
turned on, but right now it doesn't appear to be routing anything.

One problem he's had, that's made it difficult to diagnose problems, is
the thing with the interfaces behaving weirdly, that he was describing in
this first e-mail.  He has three NIC's, (all with the modules loaded
appropriately)
assigned as eth0, eth1, and eth2.  They each have an address, like
10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.4,
and 10.0.0.5.  Strangely enough though, you can down eth1 and eth2, but
eth0 still
responds to ping requests sent to 10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.3, or 10.0.0.5.

I think he wants to figure out why that's happening, as a first step to
getting
this thing straightened out....

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes