[TriLUG] 1U rack server

Scott Morris scmorris at ifndef.com
Mon Mar 11 13:53:47 EST 2002

> I'm looking for a good, 1U rack mounted server with two 10/100
> ethernet cards, one HD (10ish gig), one CD rom, and LONG mean time
> between failures, which can accept roughly 500 megs of RAM.  I'd
> prefer to run Red Hat, but I can't seem to locate at 1U servers with
> RH preinstalled.  I currently am only searching for one sever but if
> things go (really) well I could need about 2000. (fiendish grin)
>
> Any suggestions on which types of 1U server to look at would be greatly appreciated.

friend and i put together a pIII 733/70G/512M 1U machine for colo.
spent about $600 total on the box. everything but the RAM came from
newegg. even the sweet aluminum case with 7 fans. its been running redhat
for about 6 months now without a reboot. well worth our money...

--
Scott Morris
scmorris at ifndef.com
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.
Get my PGP public key: http://ifndef.com/~scmorris/scottmorris_pubkey.asc