[TriLUG] 1U rack server

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Mar 11 16:05:39 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 13:31, gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> I'm looking for a good, 1U rack mounted server with two 10/100 ethernet cards, one HD (10ish gig), one CD rom, and LONG mean time between failures, which can accept roughly 500 megs of RAM.  I'd prefer to run Red Hat, but I can't seem to locate at 1U servers with RH preinstalled.  I currently am only searching for one sever but if things go (really) well I could need about 2000. (fiendish grin)
>
> Any suggestions on which types of 1U server to look at would be greatly appreciated.

They are expensive but I've had good luck with Penguin Computing.
Unfortunately I don't think they stay on top of component prices and so
their system prices tend to not be competetive.  But stability wise they
are solid.

One company I've been checking out for awhile and haven't yet had an
opportunity to try out is http://www.einux.com.  You've probably seen
their ads in all the Linux rags.  They have a wide variety of 1U boxes
to choose from.

I know at least one person here has claimed to be happy with Dell
servers.  My experience is the exact opposite.  Dell has made my life
miserable on numerous occasions in the past.  Their on-site support is
about the most incompetent in the industry.

On the flip side, I've had good luck with servers from Compaq and HP.