[TriLUG] Linux on Sparc

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Mar 12 11:01:16 EST 2002

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) [bhu5nji at yahoo.com] wrote:
> I just got word that my app has to run on Sparc.  I've using Intel.  The only
> thing I've ever done on a Sparc machine was order compilers for Solaris 2.x.
>
> Should I be panicing?

Depends.  Were you told 'Linux on Sparc', or just 'Sparc'?  It matters.
If someone says 'it must run on Sparc', they -usually- mean Solaris.
If you have to run on Solaris, you've got some additional work ahead
of you.  If it's just 'Linux on Sparc', it depends on your app.  In
most cases, it's just a recompile.  Headers and libraries will do the
heavy lifting for you.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost