[TriLUG] Linux on Sparc

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Mar 12 11:05:58 EST 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 10:43 am, you wrote:
> I just got word that my app has to run on Sparc.  I've using Intel.  The
> only thing I've ever done on a Sparc machine was order compilers for
> Solaris 2.x.
>
> Should I be panicing?

Nope.  Red Hat 6.2 was officially supported on the Sparc platform and that
was a very decent release so I encourage you to give that a try.  Some other
distros have also been trying to improve Sparc support as well.

Sooner or later I'll get to try it on my Ultra 5.

I think Debian is also running pretty well on SPARC but I don't really follow
Debian that closely.

OpenBSD support for UltraSPARC has improved DRAMATICALLY since the 3.0
release so the 3.1 release which I would expect to see around June should
work really well with single processor Sparc machines.

I think NetBSD runs on UltraSPARC but I am not sure about FreeBSD.

--

Chris Hedemark
Yonder Way