[TriLUG] Linux on Sparc

Matt Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Tue Mar 12 11:16:37 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:59:57AM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Not just redhat - I've run debian on sparc too; linux-on-sparc works
> fine. Depends what his customer wants.

It just so happens that I saw some Ultra30 machines running SuSE 7.3 for SPARC
recently, and it worked quite well. Came with KDE 2.2.1 (I think) and GNOME
1.4 and XFree86 4.1. I'd presume that the libraries and development
environment underneath would have to be current (and thus appropriate for
porting an application from other Linux environments) for it to be that
modern.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\