[TriLUG] Linux on Sparc

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 12 13:51:36 EST 2002

To whomever was asking about Linux on Sparc originally.  Use Debian for
Sparc32 or Sparc64.
You really can't go wrong.  I never had any problem with it and I have been
using it a long time
(since 1999?).  Ben Collins the current debian project leader is a big
sparc fan, so you know it will be well supported.

For what its worth, my first exposure to Debian was on the Sparc platform.
I've never tried Redhat, but
I've tried OpenBSD on sparc.  I did the openBSD thing on version 2.5 I
think.  At that time, you couldn't
do virtual terminals and that sucked.  Also next to nothing was ported.
Mutt comes to mind.  I know OpenBSD
has made significant support since then, but that no virtual terminal
support really sucked on a non
X windows machine.  If not for that, I prolly would have kept it.

JD