[TriLUG] lesson learned: don't upgrade kernel with rpm -F (or -U)

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Mar 13 07:33:57 EST 2002

The lesson I learned the hard way about RPM and kernels was back with Red Hat
6.x where you would upgrade the kernel but some kernel packages would not
update /etc/lilo.conf but then later ones would, though without running lilo
first to read the new configuration.  So you would basically end up with an
unbootable system.

I did an RPM-based kernel upgrade with Red Hat 7.2 and didn't have any
problems.  I think grub certainly deserves some of the credit there.

--

Chris Hedemark
Yonder Way