[TriLUG] FW: Is it just me, or...

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 13 17:14:17 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 05:03:16PM -0500, Justin Johnson wrote:
> I'm headed to Intrex shortly to see if the 128MB PC133 SODIMM will work in
> my machine.
> If so, I'll be getting two of those :-) So what does that do to my swap
> space? Anything? In windows there is a 'optimal' swap file size that is =
> pysical mem + 11MB (Don't ask me). Any such concern with linux? I used the
> 'auto' partition feature of the install which gave me a swap file of
> 243(ish)MB (5% of 4GB drive). Good enough?

Depends on the kernel you're running, but I'm sure that has been
corrected in the latest distro kernels. I usually match the amount of
RAM with swap for anything over 512MB. Anything less than 512MB, I use
2x physical RAM. In other words, I don't imagine you'll run into trouble
leaving swap as is.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc