[TriLUG] FW: Is it just me, or...

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Mar 13 17:21:17 EST 2002

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 05:03 pm, you wrote:

> I'm headed to Intrex shortly to see if the 128MB PC133 SODIMM will work in
> my machine.
> If so, I'll be getting two of those :-) So what does that do to my swap
> space? Anything? In windows there is a 'optimal' swap file size that is =
> pysical mem + 11MB (Don't ask me). Any such concern with linux? I used the
> 'auto' partition feature of the install which gave me a swap file of
> 243(ish)MB (5% of 4GB drive). Good enough?

There are various rules of thumb when dealing with swap space.  Often I don't
find that they make much sense, considering that machines with more PHYSICAL
memory require less VIRTUAL memory.

There are considerations in setting the swap partition if you are interested
in debugging crashes but mere mortals aren't interested in such things (and
besides how often does Linux crash) so I wouldn't bother adjusting the swap
partition size on that machine.  There may be opposing opinions on this
subject.

--

Chris Hedemark
Yonder Way