[TriLUG] Chroot telnet (Redhat 6.0/6.1)

Errol Casey errol-list-trilug at boo-bear.com
Thu Mar 14 07:19:31 EST 2002

Has anybody tried to chroot telnetd on RH 6.0/6.1

I have successfully used /usr/sbin/chroot under RH 7.1;
but we have some older boxes and chroot doesn't seem to
work as easily. It seems to have an issue with tty devices.
We have created a /dev directory containing the common
pty devices
/dev/ptmx
/dev/tty
pty, console etc. don't have access to one of the RH 6.1 machines
as I write this email.

I know on the 7.1 machine, that the pty fs /dev/pts has to be
mounted with group tty(5). We have tried mounting this on the hold
machine, but then when it's rebooted it has permission issues
and the system cannot get a controlling pty.

Any comments appreciated. If nothing else, we will use RH 7.1
for the cases we need telnet; we use ssh most of the time.

Thanks.

--
Errol Casey
Not all gifts are free; some have hidden price tags.