[TriLUG] CD-R problem and blanks for sale.

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Sat Mar 16 01:17:38 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 11:58:21PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
> I have found that it is *always* best to make the image first on your drive,
> and then write the image directly to the CD.  This helps in two ways, first,
> you aren't multi-processing when you write the CD, so your Burner can
> function as the high speed that it advertises, and second, it streams the
> data to the device so that you don't suffer under runs.

This is my experience as well.

> This is especially true of CD-burners that are IDE based.  BTW: never run the
> Burner on the same IDE chain as the drive that has the image.  :-)

Virtually everyone with an ATAPI burner that I've spoken with has said
as much. I do not plan to test this. =)

> Perfect disks everytime - even with el' cheapo medium!

And I've found that following the above tips that Jon outlined, you can
often burn at a higher rating than the media is labeled. For instance,
the Imation blanks from Best Buy that I use are rated at up to 16x for
writes, but I've burned at 20x, 24x, and 32x with them.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc