[TriLUG] laptop on-net/off-net

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 08:38:49 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 07:48 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 06:06, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:
> > What is the proper way to get a laptop on and off the net without
> > shutting down?
>
> Internal or external (PCMCIA) NIC? What Distro?

external pcmcia nic
Mandrake 8.1 out of the box

> I use Red Hat Linux 7.2.
>
> For my internal NIC, I set "ONBOOT=NO" in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

ONBOOT=no in mine too (same path & file). The installer must have configured
it that way.

> I do the same for ifcfg-eth1 (my pcmcia NIC card)
>
> Both cards use DHCP.
>
> When I need the onboard ethernet, I run "ifup eth0" as root. When I'm
> done, I "ifdown eth0"
>
> When I use the pcmcia card, I just plug it in, and when I'm done, eject
> it. This automatically calls ifup/ifdown for eth1 for me.

All I have to do is insert and eject the pcmcia nic.  I used /sbin/ifconfig
after each eject and insert and I can see eth0 after insert and I not see
eth0 after eject.

That's just too easy. Thanks.

In the past, I was disconnecting the cable and not ejecting the nic.

> If you don't have an onboard ethernet card, the pcmcia card will be
> "eth0"

That is the situation that I have.

--
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.