pcmcia eject saves power (was Re: [TriLUG] laptop on-net/off-net)

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 14:47:34 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 02:12 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 13:29, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:
> > I have sound.
>
> IK don't because I've not applied the right kernel patches (yet) for my
> ACPI & ACPI Sound card.

I looked at the ACPI kernel options for the first time.  I turned 'em all on.
No time like the present to start another project.  I turned APM off.  There
was a terse and dire warning on the ACPI-Thermal option: laptop CPU might get
toasted with thermal power management disabled.  I've been running for nearly
8 months continuously, so I guess I'm not in that category.  THat's a pretty
serious warning though.  Is it a over the top or should sirens be going off
for all Linux Toshiba and Compaq laptop users (they are most likely to be
using APCI right now: http://www.acpi.info/index.html,
http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/)?

--
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.