pcmcia eject saves power (was Re: [TriLUG] laptop on-net/off-net)

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Mar 17 21:36:45 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 14:47, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:
> I looked at the ACPI kernel options for the first time.  I turned 'em all on.
> No time like the present to start another project.  I turned APM off.  There
> was a terse and dire warning on the ACPI-Thermal option: laptop CPU might get
> toasted with thermal power management disabled.  I've been running for nearly
> 8 months continuously, so I guess I'm not in that category.  THat's a pretty
> serious warning though.  Is it a over the top or should sirens be going off
> for all Linux Toshiba and Compaq laptop users (they are most likely to be
> using APCI right now: http://www.acpi.info/index.html,
> http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/)?

Toshibas have a nice feature that the fan auto-cools when on AC power.
There's also a toolkit for them to turn the fan on, off & auto. SO I
don't worry about it too much. And since most of the time, if it's on
battery power, it's on my lap, I tend to notice if it's excessively warm
*grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9