[TriLUG] debian networking

Todd Coffey tscoffe2 at math.ncsu.edu
Sun Mar 17 22:47:59 EST 2002

	Quick Debian question kinda related to our last meeting:

	Prep:
	I've been playing with Debian on my laptop and its been
working out really well.  Unfortunately the most recent time I
installed it, I decided to skip the network setup at the beginning and
do it by hand (I've had to do it by hand every time so far, but this
time I skipped even trying it with the menus).  Now my laptop does not
configure networking _at all_ when it boots.  Not even the loopback
device is configured.  I've narrowed the problem down to
/etc/network/interfaces, which is currently empty.  I've tried
dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown to no avail, and I've run netenv to set up a
new network profile, but that doesn't fix it either.

	Question:
	How do I initialize the network settings if I skipped those
menus in the install?

	Thanks in advance!

Todd

--
Todd S. Coffey  <tscoffe2 at eos.ncsu.edu> (919)515-2039
Graduate Student, Dept. of Mathematics  Harrelson 381