[TriLUG] Thanks for the PayPal comments

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 18 15:01:43 EST 2002

For What its Worth,

I've used payfoul a lot in the past.  I don't use them anymore because

1) I was burned twice by egay/payfoul twice.  If you find yourself in a
situation where you send somebody
money and they not ship you a item or ship a defective item, then  you will
find yourself SOL.  Once, egay
banned the user who burned me (and others).  He was removed after too many
complaints.  Try to fill in a complaint
form against a user with a non-existent user id.  Second, paypal wants to
have a form from egay
which says you were burned by a bad user in order to refund your money.
Maybe things are different
now, but when you have been burned for $50 and its taking more than hour of
filling out forms and sending
email it quickly becomes a deal where its not worth the time to struggle
via
the net.  At that point, you want to talk to someone over the phone to get
the deal straighted.  However,
try to get a person on the phone at paypal.  Hell, if you can even get a
phone number you are more of
a professional internet surfer than me.

2) Paypal charges sellers when they use their service, which I understand -
they have to make
their money someplace.  However, they are to much of a hassle to use.  You
have to give them a
bank account and then it has to be of a certain type.  For instance, I
can't use netbank to verify my paypal account.
Plus, I don't think its worth the money they charge.  Especially if you are
doing something as a business.

I can't remember the paypal url where people complain about paypal, but its
out there.  If you are interested
fire up google and see what comes up.

Mind you, please continue to use egay, since I own stock in them.  They
aren't the sweet deal that
they used to be since the AOL crowd took it over.

Excuse me, I need to take some blood pressure medicine now.

JD

"Vestal, Roy L." <rvestal at rti.org>@trilug.org on 03/18/2002 02:43:53 PM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:    trilug-admin at trilug.org