[TriLUG] data recovery

JoJo Almario jalmario at intrah.org
Tue Mar 19 07:06:32 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-admin at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-admin at trilug.org]On Behalf
Of lfwelty
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 10:10 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] data recovery

Have you eliminated all hw issues, pwr, cabling

Have you tried booting the drive in another computer?

Tried three different cables two different computers...doeen't recognize on
start up or in the bios.

Is this a scsi or ide drive?

IDE slaved to another IDE

If ide, have you changed its master/slave settings
since the original failure? You may have better luck
booting off another drive and mounting the damaged
drive as a slave on the ide...

Tried it as master and slave...with and without other drives.

If you want to try to handle the recovery yourself,
try taking a look at the LDP:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/index
.html

Good luck.

Thanks.

F.

JoJo Almario wrote:

> The hard drive isn't even recognized in the bios.  I hada backup script
> running that would tar the files to a tape drive but somehow it only was
> able to get 2 gigs of the 5gigs.
> I tried the hdd in a different computer but it still wouldn't recognize in
> the bios.  It had the whole home partition on it, with the boot, root,
/usr
> and /etc on the first drive.  No RAID so I can't rebuild.  I suck!  Any
> suggestions?

My