[TriLUG] Ideas about centralized managagment iptables via SNMP traps

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Tue Mar 19 15:58:00 EST 2002

Chris Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:
> No thanks.  Sounds too easily exploitable.  The firewall box should be very
> paranoid about using external data sources to decide on whether to permit
> or deny traffic.
>
> BTW - How many firewalls do you need anyway?  One firewall box can handle
> quite a few fast ethernet connections, and T1's are a piece of cake.  I'm
> trying to understand your problem better and I'm wondering if the site
> really is so large to need so many firewalls or will just one really well
> configured firewall fit the bill?

Not only that... but the *last* thing you want to use for configuration of
a secure firewall is a configuration channel going over the most insecure
wide-open protocol known to man.  =)

I would think that if anything, you'd be better off doing some kind of
openssh tunneled thing.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com) http://ranger.befunk.com/
Only Alex Chiu has the solution to a unified world, unless you can think of