[TriLUG] Linux Firewalls for Home LANs... How Come?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 20:43:32 EST 2002

Okay, Folks...

This isn't a troll, honest.

Almost two years ago I picked up an SMC firewall/router/switch/print
server for $90.  It's tiny.  It uses almost no power.  It takes up
almost no space.  It's close to uncrackeable.   It serves DHCP, LPD, has
a web interface, logs accesses, provides selective tunneling, and
handles 255 IPs. You take it out of the box, plug it in, and it works
for Linux and Windows systems.

It's not like I didn't have some old hardware that I could have put to
work doing the same job.  But is there a great reason not to plunk down
$100 for an appliance for this purpose?

I'm guessing the main reason would be for the learning experience.
I get all of the learning experience I need keeping my desktop systems
up to date and upgrading their devices.  More than I want sometimes.

Sorry if this ruffles any feathers.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing
out on something by going the appliance route here.

                                       Scott