[TriLUG] booting from second HD using grub and rh7.2

Bradford Powell bcpowell at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 20 10:37:44 EST 2002

I _think_ the proper incantations are:

----
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
----

to boot to windows on the first partition of the "slave" drive. The first
two lines swap hda and hdb, so windows gets less confused.

You may need to change the rootnoverify line to 'rootnoverify (hd1,0)',
it's been a while since I've done this. I forget if the rootnoverify takes
into account the mappings from above. To find out which one to use you
could either read the docs or try it both ways. (I would of course do
the latter).

You can test grub out on a grub boot floppy availible on
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub and see if this series of commands works on
your system before trying it on your friend's.

Just because I can't resist saying so: GRUB is a very cool boot
manager. No more rebooting twice with a new kernel because you forgot to
run lilo... Put your kernel on just about any filesystem type... Look at
files on the drive before you boot... Just don't delete the partition that
contains your menu.lst. Of course, if you do, you can still boot from your
handy GRUB floppy.

I hope this helps,

-- bradford powell
-- bradford_powell at unc.edu