[TriLUG] Ideas about centralized managagment iptables via SNMP traps

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 20 11:59:22 EST 2002

> 3. If I fat finger a rule and lock out remote admin, what do I do?  I
> thought Compaq's lights-out card would solve this.

We have a base set of rules that are not allowed to be modified remotely.
That helps with the fat-finger-phenomena.

> 4. Will need to get a loadbalancer for firewalls that keeps state and
> hopefully does not require any network topology changes.

Were using LVS (Linux Virtual Server project) for this, and it works great.
Users are directed to the same firewall/server as long as their requests
come more than once every 10 minutes.  The table flushes any entries older
than 10 minutes (this is configurable).  Also if a firewall/server goes
down, then that machine is taken out of the rotation, and requests are
redirected to a different machine.

> Side motivation. More and more I see the need to collect and correlate
> data. To this end I am going to try to build Oracle
> database on my server at home. Once built, I plan on mucking around with
> populating the database with nmap output.

I suggest that you don't use Oracle.  Instead use Postgres or one of the
Open Source databases.  You'll be much happier in the long run.

Jon