[TriLUG] Moving from Exchange to Linux/IMAP/POP

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Wed Mar 20 14:18:24 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, John Turner wrote:

> We are planning to move our email server from Exchange to
> some version of IMAP/POP on Linux. I have two questions.
>
> 1. Any suggestions for an IMAP/POP server?
>
> 2. Any ideas for tools to migrate Exhange mailboxes to Linux?

John:

a)
When I was researching this topic a couple of years ago for a book, I
wasn't able to find much in that direction. I found some tools to port
from UNIX *to* Exchange, including a shareware tool (no longer available
on the net, but it's on the CDROM in the book), and John Eisenmenger (of
the NC*SA group here in RTP) provided a short perl script for moving
mailboxes from pine on solaris to Exchange. I can get that to you if you
want to try reversing the behavior.

b)
Doing a quick google search, I did find this high-level overview on
migrating from Windows to UNIX:

http://shearer.org/en/writing/replacemicrosoft/replace-windows2000-howto.html

Look at sections 6.4 and 6.4.1 in particular as material to help get
started.

hope this helps,
Steve Burnett
burnett at pobox.com