[TriLUG] Rant: Please trim responses

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 22:17:28 EST 2002

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 09:49 pm, you wrote:

> is this one of those "No we are not elitist why do you ask PEON??"
> things??

perhaps a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" thing;  throughout the day
today I looked at things through my new pair of
top/bottom/context/snip/no-snip glasses;   I found:

a) email for business where there are agreements being made, the full trail
with no snipping is a defense mechanism; there's no list to refer back to in
this mode of operation, so carrying the full load everywhere helps those that
are being brought into the discussion

b) on lists, snipping is an advantage because there's less clutter; I can see
this working especially well when the subject matter gets dense

c) top/bottom/context: I saw no strong pattern on the several lists to which
I'm subscribed

Is the "reply at the bottom" a western cultural thing because we read top to
bottom and left to right?  Reply at the top is a survival thing - get your
message out in the first sentence and hope your reader stays with you.
Context replies are very good for responses to multi-topic emails.

--
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.