[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and xine

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Thu Mar 21 09:46:52 EST 2002

> You probably need the css plugin.  Try the Penguin Liberation Front
> website (http://plf.zarb.org/).

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  It would be nice if xine worked for DVD's out
of the box, but I'm sure there are a slew of legal issues associated with css
that Mandrake would prefer nto avoid.  Many of the links I see
referenced in FAQ's and mailing list archives have disappeared, again perhaps
due to legal issues.

> Personally, for DVD viewing, I personally prefer ogle.  I spent
> a lot of time trying to get xine working for dvds, including
> using the dvdnav plugin, and it still didn't work right.  I
> installed ogle and it worked right the very first time.

I agree that ogle works nicely and is much easier to set up.  I do have a
handful of complaints about ogle however:
- maximum sound volume is low compared to RealPlayer and XMMS, making it
difficult to hear dialog in DVD's
- many controls (FF, RW, pause) don't seem to have any effect
- the full screen view "takes over" the display and I have to ctrl-alt-F1 to
a console and kill the process in order to get use of my X session back

Granted these may be mis-configurations for my system or lack of knowledge on
my part, not ogle's fault .  I'm hoping that if I can get xine working, it
won't have these problems (or at least have a different set of issues).