[TriLUG] ssh install

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Thu Mar 21 11:33:27 EST 2002

The sshd_config file is under /usr/local/etc when I installed from
source.  Try the following (using the source, not the RPM)

rpm -qa |grep openssh

The above command will search your RPM database for the word "openssh"
and display the results.  To remove all your old SSH packages:

rpm -e openssh

Note that you may need to remove three other OpenSSH related packages
first.  These will be displayed after running rpm -qa | grep openssh.
You will then want to download the most recent version from
http://www.openssh.org/ and install as usual:

tar zxvf openssh-3.0.2p1.tar.gz  (or whatever the newest version is)

cd openssh-3.0.2p1

./configure

make

make install

You will then need to change some of your options in the sshd_config
file to reflect a tighter security.  You will want to disable support
for SSH protocol 1 and only allow protocol 2.  You will also want to
disallow root from logging in via SSH.  If you need to become root
remotely, first login as a normal user, then use the "su" command to
switch to root:

Good Luck!
Jeff