[TriLUG] tail across logrotate

M. Mueller at Signalnetware.com mmueller at signalnetware.com
Thu Mar 21 13:38:14 EST 2002

I want to "tail -f /var/log/myfile &" for weeks at a time.  I also logrotate
/var/log/myfile on a daily basis.  When I logrotate, the file handle changes
and the tail no longer works.  I am manually killing/restarting the tail
process on a daily basis which is tedious since I do this to 5+ systems per
day.

Any hints on how to automate or otherwise improve this process would be most
appreciated.

PS: Note my new identity on this list.  Yahoo is shutting down POP3 access to
email accounts so it's bye-bye to bhu5nji.

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.