[TriLUG] filesystem error on upgrade to RH 7.2

Richard O. Hammer ROHammer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 15:54:19 EST 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Try typing Ctrl-Pgup and see if you can see the stuff that
> scrolled off the screen.  Failing that, try to watch the
> process intently and see if you can see where it was in
> the boot process.

Thank you.  Unfortunately, neither of these works -- intent
and both-eyes-open as I try to be.  I don't think there's more
than a word or two that I'm missing, and I don't think it's
the name of a /dev/something .  Anyhow, by now I think I've
tried fsck /dev/everything.

> > When I type: fsck /dev/ [hda | hda1 | hda2 | hda3 | hda5 | hdb
> > | hdb3]
> > It gives me one line:
> >       Parallelizing fsck version 1.23 (15-Aug-2001)
> >

> Before doing that, you might type mount to see what's mounted.

Both "mount" and "mount -l" return nothing, only the next
prompt.  My file /etc/mtab has 0 bytes.  But my /proc/mounts
file contains:
	/dev/root / ext3 ro 0 0
	/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
	usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

> You can remount the filesystem read-write by doing
> mount -rw <filesystem> [mount location (not needed, maybe)]
> but I wouldn't suggest it until you get fsck to work correctly.

Having, it seems, less and less in balance to lose, when I
type
mount -rw /
it hangs, leading me back to the power switch.

My hunch is that getting fsck or one of its underlying cousins
to run may not lead in the right direction, because I suspect
this is a problem involving the setup of the swap partition
and/or swap filesystem.

Still, I don't know what I can say at that prompt that will do
any good.

Rich Hammer