[TriLUG] data recovery---Linux low-level format program available??

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Thu Mar 21 16:46:06 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, al johson wrote:

> Many thanks for these references. Funny you don't hear about these programs
> any more isn't it??
> Al

You're welcome.
Not really funny: there just aren't that many MFM drives built anymore,
and doing low-level formats on ATA/EIDE is generally not recommended or
even practical. Drives are tons cheaper than they used to be, and so are
also more fungible than they used to be. I don't see that many articles on
selecting the proper quills for use as ink pens these days either [1].

[1] But I have a pair of geese who've been living in my yard since last
week, so it'd actually be useful if I felt brave.

Steve Burnett
burnett at pobox.com