[TriLUG] Wireless Lan and Mandrake 8.2

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Sat Mar 23 17:46:34 EST 2002

Ok, I've been fighting with this for a while, but I just can't get past
my last step, so I'm hoping those with more experience with Mandrake
might be able to help.

I have a Netgear MA401 (prism2_cs card) wireless card that I have
compiled the driver for (linux-wlan-ng-0.1.13) which I have gotten to
work adding some lines to the cardmngr (recognized with module loaded on
insert and unloaded on physical eject).  Using ifconfig on wlan0 I can
bring up the interface and give it a static address and using route I
can setup the default route over the interface, and it all works fine
(using it as I type this).

My only problem is I can't get the ifup and ifdown commands to work.
When I type "ifup wlan0" on the command prompt it trys to get dhcp
address for eth1 (another network card on the laptop) instead of wlan0.
I have created an ifcfg-wlan0 file with the following:

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=no
HWADDR=00:30:ab:0d:ff:a2

I also added the following to the draknet_conf and draknet_conf.default
files:

Wlan0Known=true
Wlan0IP=
Wlan0Mask=255.255.255.0
Wlan0Mac=
Wlan0BootProto=dhcp
Wlan0OnBoot=no
Wlan0Hostname=kara.cafaro.net
Wlan0HostAlias=kara
Wlan0Driver=prism2_cs
Wlan0Irq=
Wlal0Port=
Wlan0DHCPClient=
Wlan0DHCPServerName=kara.cafaro.net

But no luck.  I'm new to Mandrake, and to pcmcia cards in linux.  Any
pointers would be appreciated, the HOW-TO's haven't solved my problem
yet (actually they haven't seemed to help much on any of my setup of
this yet, always just miss the info I need..) Thanks.

David