[TriLUG] Here's a "duh" from a h/w guy...ACPI vs. APM

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Mar 25 13:45:17 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 13:31, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> I haven't been able to keep up with the h/w changes to intel based machines
> as I used to. I know that ACPI is new (relatively) to intel's mainboards,
> but what is it, and why when I compile support for it, does APM give
> problems? I.E. I have a new laptop with ACPI (Toshiba 2800) and with ACPI
> support compiled, APM will not power off the laptop, when I compile it
> without it, APM works fine.

You actually need some patches. I've just upgraded to a toshiba
Satellite 5005-S505, and the kernel acpi just doesn't cut it. You'll
need to grab the latest ACPI patch from sourceforge. Once I applied
that, my laptop behaved (and I got sound, too!)

> Can someone explain this?

ACPI is really, really new. Really new. But it's also the only way stuff
is being built now, so some things are a little flakier than others.

The kernel ACPI isn't as up-to-date as the acpi patch. There are also
other patches and notes on the 5005-linux list at topica.com.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9
"It's not stupid...it's ADVANCED"