[TriLUG] Here's a "duh" from a h/w guy...ACPI vs. APM

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Mon Mar 25 13:49:40 EST 2002

I don't know the very technical details but the basics are this:

APM - Advanced Power Management - an older standard that is decently
supported in linux (works real well for me in Mandrake 8.2 on a dell
Latitude C600)

ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - a new standard that is
to replace APM, not as well supported in linux yet, but growing.

I believe that using both at the same time will cause conflicts because
each will be trying to do the same thing, both tying to handle poweroff,
both trying to handle resume, etc...  Here are some links that might help:

ACPI4Linux - http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/

ACPI info - http://www.acpi.info/index.html