[TriLUG] OT: hardware question

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Tue Mar 26 10:27:40 EST 2002

I recently upgraded an old P-166 machine to a 450 w/ 256meg of PC133
SDRAM for a total cost of about $200.00 after tax and shipping.  Gnome,
KDE, and all major apps run quite usably on it.  Here's what I got:

Soyo SY-5EH5 mainboard and K6-2+ 450 processor bundle from Tiger
http://www.tigerdirect.com/ for $89.99 w/ overnight shipping came to
$114.xx  UPS Ground is much cheaper, of course, but the box had died
and needed a quick resurrection.

1 256meg stick of Non-ECC K-Byte SDRAM = $79.95 from Office Depot a few
miles from my house.  With tax it was $86.xx

The Soyo mainboard is nice because it accepts both AT and ATX power
supplies so you can upgrade your case if want to as well.  It will
handle up to a K6-2 550 and two 256meg DIMMS.  A week after
doing the upgrade, the psu in my AT case died.  I could've just replaced
the PSU but the old case was looking pretty rough so I went with an Antec
KS382 w/255W psu from CompUSA for $69.99. It can accept both AT and ATX
mainboards, so future upgrades are feasible.

For the performance boost, I'm quite happy with how much I had to spend.

--
Ken Wahl     ken at kenwahl.org     http://www.kenwahl.org/
PGP/GPG Public Key at  http://www.kenwahl.org/pubkey.gpg