[TriLUG] Questions about Threading

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Mar 26 16:01:42 EST 2002

Chris Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:
> Mike,
>
> What are some of your sources for Intel motherboards that will handle more
> than 2 CPU's?

Intel and SuperMicro (possibly Tyan, I haven't looked) all make 4 CPU
boards.  Pricewatch lists some, but I'm not sure the mere mortal can
get just the boards.  You might have to get a server from Dell, IBM,
or Compaq to get the 8 CPU systems

If you want to play, check out Ebay for some ALR six way PPro motherboards.

> And do these need to be Xeon CPU's or will your average Pentium III do it?

Depends.  If it's an "older" Xeon, you can use whatever the motherboard
provides.    I'm not sure where the switchover occurs, but the
newer Xeons require you to use Xeon MPs to get more than two.  Your
average PIII cannot scale beyond two CPUs.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost