[TriLUG] Backing up remote systems

Bradford Powell bcpowell at email.unc.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:48:42 EST 2002

On occasion I have used:

tar -cjvspSPlf - /home/bradford | ssh -C bradford at computer.with.tape.drive
'dd bs=64k of=/dev/ctape'

I forget what all of the tar options do, some of them are probably
redundant. I don't compress the tar file but let the tape drive use its
hardware compression instead because this is supposed to prevent having
an unreadable backup in case one block goes bad. I do use ssh -C, though
because the data goes over a 10 MiBit network. So the data gets tarred,
compressed by ssh and sent over the network, then decompressed, then sent
to the tape drive where it is again compressed.

If there's a better way to do this, I would be interested.

-- bradford
-- bradford_powell at unc.edu