[TriLUG] Password expiration

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 28 17:58:00 EST 2002

I feel your pain.

I think that the fields are there administratively only.  PAM does not have
that functionality built into it yet.  It is an easy add-on though using a
script running as root daily.

Use the date function (and a +7 days) to get the seconds count, then compare
that to the proper field in /etc/shadow for each user.  The cut function will
help isolate the fields you want.  The "mail" program will mail out the
warning to each user:
  mail -s "Your password expires in 7 days" $user_email </root/pw_inst.txt

Take care - Jon

 --- Original Message: Wednesday 27 March 2002 12:16 pm ---