[TriLUG] Gentoo Linux boot disk

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Mon Apr 1 10:44:20 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 10:09, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> Is there a way to make a boot disk for gentoo?

Good question.

Idea #1: Would it be possible to use a grub rescue/boot floppy to get
the Gentoo CD going? :^|

Idea #2: I'm willing to bet that you can use the Linux From Scratch
method of building a system to build Gentoo. That is, small host Linux
system already on the hard drive (e.g. a small Debian system would
probably work, and take up minimal space). Boot into it. Make
partition(s) for Gentoo. Dump the Gentoo binary stuff off the CD and
chroot into the new system. Then the install should be pretty much the
same. This is a variation on the LFS install.

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I think this should work.

Idea #3: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/altinstall.html (no idea if this fits
your needs)

As usual, experts live on gentoo-user, gentoo-dev, and
irc.openprojects.net/#gentoo and could probably give a better informed
response. :^)

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\